Local Youths Learning and Growing in More Ways Than One with YouthFEAST
YouthFEAST is named after an Oregon-based program which stands for Food, Education, Agriculture Solutions Together. Created to help communities address problems in their food systems, YouthFEAST helps educate local youths from the Utica area about the food system by growing the foods themselves. Along with caring for and taking pride in growing these foods (some of them being vegetables that the teens themselves have never seen or heard of), the group learns about the growth process, how to harvest, and even how to prepare various meals using the food grown. They YouthFEAST started as a pilot program this past summer, with more programming planned for the rest of the year. Up to twenty local teens from local families that qualify for SNAP benefits are chosen to take care of the Boilermaker Urban Garden (or BUG, for short).
West Utica has been the main focus of the YouthFEAST program. It has been referred to as "ground zero" for diet-related diseases by Environmental Change Educator Debra Richardson from the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oneida County's EatSmartNY program. In Utica, only 26 percent of adults eat the recommended minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables a day. In addition to these startling statistics, almost 40% of middle and high school students in the area are overweight or obese, according to the program's proposal. Combined with the difficulty of finding healthy foods in West Utica, the program aims to make a difference in both the teen's lives, as well as the community. Learning skills such as teamwork and communication, the teens, like the food they are growing, will flourish and prosper.
For more information on the Boilermaker Urban Garden or the YouthFEAST program, please visit the Boilermaker's website at www.boilermaker.com.
- A Rock Star Site for The Tone Club - A Fitness Experience!
Aug. 31, 2018
- Q's Britney Whitney Awarded the Les Diven Media Award from the Boilermaker Road Race
Jul. 6, 2018
- Quadsimia Welcomes Daniee Weaver
May. 7, 2018
- CNY Premier Wedding Venues Said "I Do" to a Beautiful New Website
Apr. 10, 2018
- Web Developer / Marketing Analyst Wanted!
Mar. 21, 2018
- Quadsimia Welcomes Pam Mustee as Relationship Manager
Jan. 9, 2018
- Bringing People Home - Lewiston Properties' New Website
Dec. 18, 2017
- Quadsimia Develops New Responsive Website for Northland Trailers
Nov. 7, 2017
- Wine All You Want 2017
Sep. 22, 2017
- Maggie Reed Welcomed as New Account Representative
Aug. 8, 2017